- Created on 17 August 2015
- Written by bositman
Hello everyone! Welcome to PCSX2's July-August 2015 progress report! Since we were late again ( ) we'll include the first half of August in this report as well. So sit back, buckle up and hold on as we go over the changes that happened in the months of July and August! First we will go over some more magic in the realm of GSdx.
- Created on 26 July 2015
- Written by Blyss Sarania
As promised in last month's update, welcome to PCSX2's very first monthly progress report! Sorry that it's a bit later than I had said - totally my fault! Let's start things off with a bang, shall we? A question that often gets asked on the forum to a surprising degree is a variation of the following: “How can I get XYZ Snowblind engine game working in hardware mode?” the answer up until very recently was “You can't, use software mode and expect it to be ridiculously demanding.” For those of you unfamiliar with it, the Snowblind engine was used for games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, Champions: Return to Arms, and a few miscellaneous others. The Snowblind engine does some pretty crazy stuff on the PS2, like using 2x Super Sample Anti Aliasing! Because of that, it's very demanding and even ultra powerful rigs would have issues running these games in software mode. Running them in hardware mode would result in only half the screen being visible because of the way the engine achieves the 2x SSAA.
- Created on 11 June 2015
- Written by Blyss Sarania
Hello everyone! I know our news updates have been few and far between as of late, but that's going to change starting now! Several really nice new features have been added by GSdx master Gregory lately. He has been working at breakneck pace and making amazing progress. This update will cover those as well as a few notable improvements by some of the other devs and some changes to how we are doing things going forward. The most visible of those changes for you guys is that we will now be writing monthly progress reports! Sometime around the end of each month/beginning of the next we will be posting a news update which covers all the major changes that have taken place during that month. For now, let's take a look at what has been happening in the world of PCSX2 since the last update!
- Created on 08 February 2015
- Written by Gregory
Hello guys, here are some news on the Linux front. Yes I know, I ought to do that more regularly
In short progress is slow but steady
* A port to wxWidget 3.0 was done recently, mostly because Debian will drop wxWidget 2.8 . It is enabled by default but wx2.8 is still there, you can restore is with the -DWX28_API=TRUE build option.
- Most of regressions were fixed so it will work as bad as before No I'm kidding, it actually works better on my PC. Feel free to test it.
- Unfortunately Windows is still blocked to wx2.8, contributions are welcome (first step is to add a wx3.0 library build)
- Some wxWidget libraries depend on GTK3. PCSX2 code was updated to support GTK3 but wxWidget is not as stable as expected. Nevertheless, you can enable GTK3 with the -DGTK3_API=TRUE build option (debug build only).
* Better support of cross-building (thanks to Micove). Cmake used to select wrong libraries between lib32/lib64/lib/...
- You need to use this new option on 64 bits machines -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=cmake/linux-compiler-i386-multilib.cmake
- Note: build.sh will do it by default, so just build.sh
* Support of AVX
- code is now compiled with -march=native to support all optimizations of your CPU. It can be disabled with the -DISABLE_ADVANCE_SIMD=TRUE build option (for example distribution or inside VM)
- Note: GSdx (Linux) needs a couple of updates to support SSE4x. Again contributions are welcome, check this issue https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/438
* New (nearly) playable game: Bouken Jidai Katsugeki Goemon
- Full support of MMU with the interpreter, and a dedicated game-fix for the recompiler
- No more TLB misses! (full story will be posted in http://pcsx2.net/developer-blog.html in coming weeks).
- Crashes are reported on GSdx windows not sure on Linux.
* Finally, Ubuntu PPA is up to date with the latest feature. However, Ubuntu 12.04 support is discontinued!
Ongoing work (aka the plan for the next months):
* port lilypad to Linux
- It will bring Force Feedback, MultiTap and it might work better in several games.
- I'm close to have keyboard support but help would be appreciated to build a full GUI. Please contact us if you are interested.
* port GSdx to openGL 4.5
- A long time ago, I planned to update the code to support GL_ARB_direct_state_access. It was postponed because no official driver supported it.
Last but not least, thanks to all contributors. Even the smallest patches are a big help.
- Created on 22 December 2014
- Written by bositman
We hope that you've all had a good year! Be sure to enjoy what little is left it (it sure went by fast!). Eat some good food, enjoy the company of good friends, and make sure to check back here for more PCSX2 related news soon!