- Created on 27 May 2012
- Written by bositman
After almost 3 months of under cover preparation, I present you the new PCSX2 homepage! The last PCSX2.net redesign was done 7 years ago by CKemu and Falcon4ever and now it is my turn to update it
The new website is based on the latest Joomla! platform with a custom modified theme for PCSX2, and is no longer bound to our forum. It uses PHP, a new database for the compatibility list and jQuery for various new features. Here's a short overview:
- Totally fresh design, taking into consideration higher resolutions and a self-adapting template, so the website will take up all your screen no matter what resolution you use.
- Detection for iOS and Android, in which case the website uses a more mobile theme.
- Tested and working in Firefox, Chrome, IE9, IE8 and Opera.
- Article-based, so you can link and like/share each news post or dev blog separately.
- New main navigation menu, more user friendly with much more content and easy to follow
- Latest forum threads, youtube videos and SVN revisions, automatically updated via RSS every 3 minutes, for the most up to date overview of what's new with PCSX2.
- Compatibility list redesigned from scratch. New list look to easily find what you're looking for, more info like last updated and tester who updated and screenshots (not complete yet). Pagination is done via jQuery for faster and easier navigation. Added counters for each status and a user configured games per page, so you can limit the results for smaller screens or vice versa for larger ones.
- New, detailed Downloads section. This is the largest change of the new website along the compatibility list, which was enormous work. All downloads are now categorized in sections for easier and clearer navigation. They all have detailed descriptions, file size, date published and more info. Almost every plugin released for PCSX2 can be found in the windows plugin section, including Dev9gigarazi, Nuvee and more.
After endless digging on the internet since 2002 when PCSX2 had its first public release, the archive section was completed. There you will find ALL PCSX2 versions ever released, from v0.026 up to the current v0.9.8 with source code and Linux releases when possible. You will also find old GSdx versions and betas.
- One button google translate of the website, for our non english speaking visitors.
- Share box, so you can like on facebook, +1 on google and share on twitter and make PCSX2 known to even more people. You can also share news posts after you click on the title
- Compatibility overview, showing you the compatibility status of PCSX2 of our total game pool, updated daily.
- Search function, so you can find old news or blog posts easily.
- Read more button for news - blog posts which are too long and made the site look bad.
- Screenshots and videos section, with sexy lightbox pop ups for images.
- Article archive for a nice overview of our posts over the years.
- More stuff I probably forgot
Code and speed
- In general the new website should be a bit slower than the old due to the additional features, but should be barely noticeable.
- Vastly optimized compatibility list with the development of a new database for it, server side and client side caching for reduced server load.
- Search engine optimized, we should rank much higher in google now thanks to meta tags in each article and SEO URLs.
- Server side and client side caching for the whole website, reducing server load and decreasing load times.
- Script and CSS minifying functions.
I hope everyone enjoys the website and finds it as exciting as I do, even after working on it for so long You can post your feedback or any bugs you find in this forum thread (if you flame it you're banned! ): http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-net-revamped
Finally, I want to thank Falcon4ever for helping with the server side of stuff and all team members for their valuable input on how things should look and feel. Dedicated to all our loyal user base!